In 1954, The Air Force accidentally launched a rocket at a Chicago school
1954 St. Patrick’s Academy Rocket Explosion | Chicago, IL  
The 4-foot long Mark 4 Folding Fin Aerial Rocket, nicknamed “Mighty Mouse,” carried six pounds of high explosive in its 2.75″ warhead, and sliced through the air at roughly 1,300 feet per second. Although the “Mighty Mouse” was notoriously inaccurate, fighter-intercepters launched volleys of these rockets, usually a dozen or more, turning them into an aerial shotgun. A single Mk 4 rocket could bring down the largest Soviet bomber.
That was the weapon that blasted against the east side of St. Patrick’s Academy, an all-girl Catholic school in Des Plaines on a Thursday afternoon.
According to the Air Force officials, a maintenance crew from the 62nd Fighter-Interceptor Squadron had just lowered a rocket cluster on an F-86 Sabre at O’Hare Field. The exact cause of the rocket’s malfunction is unknown.
O’Hare sits about a mile-and-half from St. Patrick’s Academy. As the maintenance crew lowered the rocket pod and began removing the “Mighty Mouse” rockets, one suddenly launched in a whiff of acrid smoke and acrid propellent.
To prevent hardware or ordnance accidents from harming residents in the nearby suburbs, a small berm of earth surrounded one side of the air field. Any rocket—even one traveling just over the speed of sound—would explode into the dirt harmlessly.
That didn’t happen. Instead, the rocket slid along a small concrete ramp, which added just enough altitude to clear the air field’s protective terrain. Six pounds of high explosive whistled through the air, headed right for the girls’ Catholic school in Des Plaines at 2:30 in the afternoon.
400 students and teachers were in the four-story brick school at the time. Most students were finishing out their final class sessions. A group of seniors milled about outside, saying goodbye to a batch of seniors headed to the snowy hills of Eagle River, Wisconsin.  These seniors stood only 30 feet away from the rocket’s impact.
It slammed into the stone foundation and exploded, gouging out a hole two feet wide and a foot deep. The explosion’s pressure didn’t just shatter windows on three floors all along the east side of the building, but shattered the heavy wooden frames holding the windows. Glass flew in deadly shards inside and school and across the grounds.
Some will proclaim that a miracle took place that day, the miracle being that out of the 400 students and teachers in and around St. Patrick’s Academy at 2:30, not one was injured. The first two floors on the school’s east side happened to be vacant at that time of day. Children filled classrooms on the third floor, but despite shattered windows and flying glass, no one was injured. The seniors outside? They were all fine. Some ringing ears, but otherwise fine.
  “It sounded like an atom bomb. The girls were excited by the explosion, but they calmed down quickly and everyone finished the remaining class period of the day…” ~St. Patrick’s Academy Director Sister Gabrielle, 1954  
Des Plaines police and emergency teams came tearing down the road and into the school grounds, expecting carnage…only to find a school with shattered windows, a gaping hole, and no human casualties. Later on, school representatives would estimate a total of $1000 in damage (about $10,200 today).


Image 1 of 4

  Shopping on Amazon through the links below helps support History in the Heartland and our efforts to document History through America's Midwest!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.