Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote her books in Missouri
Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home & Museum | Mansfield, Missouri
The Laura Ingalls Wilder House is a historic house museum at 3060 Highway A in Mansfield, Missouri. Also known as Rocky Ridge Farm, it was the home of author Laura Ingalls Wilder from 1896 until her death in 1957. The author of the Little House on the Prairie series, Wilder began writing the series while living there. The house, together with the nearby Rock Cottage on the same property, represents one of the few surviving places where she resided. Shortly after her death local residents initiated legal steps to acquire the house through the incorporation of a non-profit organization to preserve her legacy.  Owned by the Laura Ingalls Wilder Home Association, the house is open to the public for tours.It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1991.
In 1894 Laura and Almanzo Wilder paid a $100 down payment on 40 acres of farmland. They named their home "Rocky Ridge." Two rooms of the house were initially built between 1895 and 1897. Further additions through 1912 brought the house to its present form with ten rooms. Most of the work was done by Almanzo, with help from local carpenters and from Laura, using local materials.
The house is now a museum devoted to Laura and her writings. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 19, 1970, and was designated a National Historic Landmark on July 17, 1991.  The Rock Cottage, located nearby on the same property, was built by their daughter Rose Wilder Lane as a gift to her parents, who lived there from 1928 to 1936. Laura began to write at the age of 65 in there. It is part of the Wilder Museum, but is not included in the National Historic Landmark designation.
The museum contains artifacts including Pa's fiddle, first editions of some Little House books, keepsakes of the Ingalls and Wilder families, and many other items familiar to "Little House" fans.
Located 45 miles east of Springfield, off Route 60, one mile east of the Mansfield town square.
Open March 1 through November 15 (closed Easter Sunday).


Image 1 of 5

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.